A copy of this constitution can be downloaded in either Word or PDF format from the links in the left hand column
Raunds Bridge Club Constitution (Updated 4th February 2024)
Approved by the AGM held on 26th January 2024
1. The club shall be known as Raunds Bridge Club, hereinafter referred to as “the club”.
2. To provide opportunities for members to play and promote the game of Duplicate Bridge in Raunds and surrounding district.
3. To employ the funds of the club in such a manner as the Management Committee may deem in the best interest of the membership, having regard to the fact the club is a non-profit making body.
4. Membership shall be open to all persons whose residence or place of business is in the County of Northamptonshire or in adjacent counties. Players from elsewhere will not be unreasonably prevented from playing.
5. Membership of the club does not mean automatic membership of the English Bridge Union but the Management Committee may decide to join if it is deemed to be in the interest of the members.
6. A member of the club may be a member of other bridge clubs elsewhere.
7. The Management Committee, for reasons which it considers good and sufficient, may refuse membership to any person or renewal of membership of any member or suspend membership to any member for such a period as it might think fit. That person will have the right to appeal to the Management Committee within fourteen days of notification.
8. The Secretary of the club shall within seven days of the Management Committee’s decision to act under rule seven, notify the person concerned in writing of their decision.
In the event that the right of appeal is exercised, a Special Panel will be convened to hear that appeal with the Panel comprising three members of the Committee plus three other members of the club chosen by the appellant. Unlike all other club meetings, the Panel Chairman will not have an additional casting vote and any proposal to rescind the original determination will require the support of 4 of the panel members.
9. Membership. The annual subscription shall be such a sum as determined using the method outlined in paragraph 25, (below).
10. The Treasurer of the Club, or their appointed assistant, is responsible for collecting the annual subscription and table money. New members joining the Club after 31st January will also be required to pay the annual subscription up to 31st August. Thereafter, annual subscriptions will be waived.
11. All annual subscriptions are due by 31st January and become payable by 28th February.
12.Table money will be charged at each bridge session. The table money shall be such a sum as determined using the method outlined in paragraph 25, (below).
13. The day-to-day running of the club will be carried out by the Management Committee.
14. The Management Committee of the club shall consist of a Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Tournament Director and up to three other members, all elected annually at the AGM. The Treasurer and Tournament Director may each appoint an assistant who may act on their behalf where appropriate. Such assistants need not be members of the Management Committee but may be invited to committee meetings.
15. In the event of a committee member resigning their post or retiring, the Management Committee will appoint a replacement until the next Annual General Meeting.
16. The Committee may appoint a sub-committee for any speciﬁc purpose and members of such sub-committee need not be members of the Management Committee.
17. The Annual General Meeting shall be held in the last week in January each year. The agenda for the Annual General Meeting will be provided via email by the secretary two weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting. Only items on the agenda will be discussed. A hard copy of the agenda will be available from the Secretary upon request.
18. Members may submit items for the agenda via email or hard copy to the Secretary up to three weeks before the Annual General Meeting. All such items must have a proposer and seconder.
19. Seven days’ notice shall be given for any Extraordinary General Meeting or for any Committee Meeting.
20. An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be called if an application for one, in writing, is supported by at least 20% of paid-up members. Such an application should be made to the Secretary. The Management Committee may also have the power to call an Extraordinary General Meeting.
21. The minimum number of attendees for a General Meeting shall be six, and for any Committee Meetings shall be three.
22. Nominations for officers of the Management Committee should be sent to the Secretary prior to the agenda of the Annual General Meeting being distributed in accordance with rule 17
23. At all meetings, voting shall be by a show of hands unless a poll is requested by at least five members.
24. If the voting is tied, the Chairman shall have an additional vote
25. Changes to the constitution will be considered by the committee and any proposed changes will be notified to all member via email. 14 days’ notice of the change will be given before implementation. If 20% of the membership indicate, (in writing), that they wish the change to be considered by an EGM of all members, then the Secretary will arrange this – otherwise the change will automatically be made. The same procedure is also required for all changes to the table money amount or the annual subscription that the Management Committee may wish to implement.
26. The annual accounts will be drawn up by the Treasurer by 31st December each year and independently audited in time for the Annual General Meeting at the end of January. The balance sheet drawn up will show the previous year’s ﬁgures for comparison. The Treasurer will then present balance sheet at the Annual General Meeting with enough duplicate copies for members present.
27. All money surplus to the Treasurer’s requirements will be placed in the Raunds Bridge Club current account with the bank already appointed by the Committee.
28. Any payments made by the club from our bank account must be counter-signed by the treasurer and one other signatory appointed by the committee who has been approved by the bank.